March 2021 Newsletter
Please note that this newsletter has corrections that are NOT reflected in the mailed copy
- A Reminder to all members that there is “NO SMOKING” inside of the club. Anyone caught smoking will face disciplinary action before the board of Directors up to and including dismissal from the club.
- Life Member Bill Dennison passed away at 6:00 am on February 18th. Bill was 90 years old. Bill caught the Covid virus last fall and never really recovered from the long term effects of the virus.
- There will be a club work party Saturday March 20th from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Please come out to help keep our club looking FIRST CLASS! Members are reminded that they can come out and work anytime to keep the club looking great. You do not have to wait for a work party to help clean up around the club.
- Members are asked to please pick up your brass and deposit it in the buckets provided when you are done shooting on the rifle/pistol range. Leaving the brass on the ground creates a hazard for the people mowing!
- Members are asked to please use the envelopes provided to pay for range use money. Also note how many rounds and what caliber you shot on the range.
- ONLY CLUB MEMBERS MAY PURCHASE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES. Our liquor license does not allow beer or liquor to be removed from the club grounds (NO ROADIES). Anyone caught removing beer or liquor from the club grounds will face disciplinary action before the board of Directors up to and including dismissal from the club.
- When you come out to the club for any event, make sure you sign the membership book located inside of the back room of the club. The club by-laws require you as a member to sign the book at least 12 times per year. You agreed to obey the by-laws when you joined the club!
- Please do not write on the club calendar or sign up for events without checking with the event committee chairman or club use chairman first.
*****St. Patrick’s Day Dinner March 20th *****
There will be a St. Patrick’s Day dinner and trap shoot on March 20th. Trap shooting will take place from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM and the cost is $10.00 with a prize payout at the end. The dinner of corned beef or ham and cabbage will be served from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM for a cost of $14.00 per dinner. There will be a LIVE BAND and Raffles! Contact Jennifer Vincent @ 734-755-4470 or Travis Houpt @ 734-777-5128 if you wish to help with this dinner.
Varmint Shoot March 6th
The next Varmint Shoot will be held March 6th. Sign in from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Center fire starts shooting @ 10:00 AM. Contact Keith Harriman @ 313-903-1694 or Dennis Sisung @ 586-206-0149 for more details.
30-3D Archery Shoot March 14th
There will be a 30-3D archery shoot on March 14th from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the Maybee Sportsman Club. This is a Travel League Shoot. The February 14th 30-3D shoot had 15 participants. For more information about our archery shoots contact Scott Hicks at 734-735-9163.
Steak Roast March 13th
The North/South Skirmish members will host the March 13th steak roast dinner. John Little and Rich Werth hosted the February13th steak roast dinner. We had 25 dinners sold at the February 13th steak roast dinner. James Roman won the next free dinners. Thanks to everyone that came out for the dinner. New members are required to host or help with a club dinner their first year of membership. If you don’t host or help with a dinner you will not be allowed to renew your membership. The North/South Skirmish Assn. members will host the March 13th steak roast. Contact Dennis Williams @ 734-467-5282 if you wish to host or help with a steak roast.
Welcome New Members
On February 18th the Membership voted on six persons for Probationary membership and three persons for junior membership in the Maybee Sportsman Club. The new Probationary members are: Christine Bonk, Michael Bonk, Brandon Hutchison, Michael Jaworski, Jim Lloyd II, and James Stone for probationary membership in the Maybee Sportsman Club and Alexander Assemacher, Carson Jaworski, and Zachary Kolberg for junior membership. Welcome to the club.
MCCC Travel League 2021
The Maybee Sportsman Club is currently in 4th place in the MCCC Travel Trap League. Note the change in rotation for the league shoots! Here is the schedule for 2021: March 14th at Carleton Sportsman Club, April 25th at Brest Bay Sportsman Club, and May 16th at Maybee Sportsman Club. Help is needed with this shoot. Come out to help and get your work hours in early for 2021! We normally have 150 to 160 shooters at this event. June 13th at Monroe Rod & Gun, June 20th at Century Gun Club, July 18th at Canvasback Gun Club, and August 22nd Shooting Directors meeting and shoot at Dundee Sportsman Club. The Lewis shoot and banquet will be held September 19th at Dundee Sportsman Club. Contact Art Bleau @ 734-730-9730 or Doug Gilson @ 734-645-5231 for more information.
Indoor Archery for 2021
Indoor archery for 2021 started Sunday January 17th and Tuesday January 19nd. So far there are 32 archers participating. Shooting starts at 6:30 PM both nights. The cost is $25.00 for members and $30.00 for non-members. Everyone will shoot as individual. No teams. The league will run for 10 weeks. Juniors 17 and under will shoot for free. For more information contact Scott Hicks at 734-735-9163.
Flat Rate Rifle/Pistol Range Fee
The Flat Rate Rifle/Pistol Range Fee of $50.00 will be available again this year. This is for members only! You MUST still fill out an envelope with rounds fired. We have 8 members signed up so far. Contact Keith Harriman @ 313-903-1694 to register and arrange payment for unlimited use of the range.
16th Annual Wild Game Dinner
The Wild Game Dinner for 2021 has been put on hold due to the uncertainty of the governor’s mandates concerning the Covid-19 virus. We hope to have the dinner in September.
Military Rifle Shoot March 13th
The Saturday March 13th Military Rifle Shoot is at 5:00 PM. Contact Dennis Sisung @ 586-206-0149 for details. The fee for the Military Rifle Shoot is $5.00 for club members and $6.00 for non-members with prize money paid. Any Pre-1960 Military Rifle is allowed. The rifle used must be stock, open sights, and unmodified. We shoot 20 rounds of rifle and 5 rounds of handgun. The handgun must be stock with open sights and may be any caliber. Handgun is 5 shots @ 25 yards. Rifle is 10 rounds @ 50 yards and 10 rounds @ 100 yards on the rail or prone.
10th Annual Steve Stull Memorial Chili Cook-Off February 20th
The tenth Annual Steve Stull Memorial Chili Cook-Off was held February 20, 2021. Dennis Williams was the chairman for the event this year. There were five club members that participated with 6 different types of chili cooked. First place was won by Vern Wells, second place was won by Art Bleau and third place was won by Allissa Weber. All of the chilies cooked were very good and the judges had a hard time picking the winners.
Club apparel is in the showcases! See the club website for pricing on club apparel. Contact Art Bleau at 734-730-9730 or see him at the Membership meetings to order shirts, hats, jackets, or any other items that you may want embroidered with the club logo.
Sponsoring New Members
When you sponsor new members, remember the dues are $80.00 per year and an initiation fee of $100.00 (the $100.00 initiation fee has been waived until March 31st of 2021). Make sure their money is included with their application and that the prospective new members know that they “MUST WORK” their hours the first year of membership. New members MUST HOST or help host a Steak Roast, Mexican fiesta, or Oktoberfest dinner or other club event their first year of membership. If they do not host or help with a dinner their membership will not be renewed. Applicants for Probationary membership should show up at the meeting when they are being voted into the club or have a good reason why they can’t be there.
Newsletter and club use Information: E-mail Dennis Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-586-3036 and leave a message.